Tuesday, September 11, 2012

AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor Review

Disclaimer: I am not a paid sponsor, representative or employee of AMD, Newegg, Amazon, TigerDirect or any company. This review is merely an honest personal review/opinion of having owned/purchased/used this product.

Manufacturer Site | Official Info Page | Newegg | Amazon | TigerDirect

Quick Specification Overview 
(Visit the official page for detailed specs)
Socket AM3 | Dual-Core | 3.1GHz | 128KB+128KB L1 Cache | 2MB L2 Cache | 65W | 0.85 - 1.425V | 4000MHz Hyper Transport | 45nm SOI CMOS Tech. | 64-Bit Support
Image from Newegg

Average Price: $50 to $80 USD


I have bought 2 of these processors from a local PC shop for $70, $80 including the sales tax; one was back on March 7th 2012 for a low budget gaming rig for myself. The second I purchased on August 28th 2012 as an upgrade to a family member's pre-built eMachines computer. My build was fresh and from scratch, while I gutted everything, save for the motherboard, processor, case & power supply from my relative's computer.


Coupled with these processors:
Relative's PC: 4GB ADATA DDR3 RAM (x2 2GB, Dual Channel, Single Sided, 7-7-7-20 Timing), 500W PSU, ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard, 1GB XFX Radeon HD 4350 Graphics Card
My PC: 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL DDR3 RAM (x2 4GB, Dual Channel, Dual Sided, 9-9-9-24 Timing), 500W PSU, ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard, 2GB VisionTek Radeon HD 5670 Graphics Card


Fast, stable & reliable. A darn good dual-core processor. Since March 2012 this processor has given me no problems. It handles programs very well. It rarely reaches 100% usage. Even while I'm rendering a 5 minute 720p video it only goes to 98%. While I cannot comment on how effective the supplied heat sink & fan are, for I do not currently have the proper tools/software to test my CPU/System temperature (that needs to change obviously) I will say that under high CPU usage situations (Rendering a 720p video WHILE having a browser up and some folders & files) that the supplied fan & heat sink are doing their job. I have yet to have any CPU related problems on either my computer or my relative's. This includes system lock-ups, hangs & random shut-offs.


Closing Thoughts:
I've always purchased AMD processors, though I will admit I have used PC/Laptops with Intel CPUs pre-installed. AMD is definitely the best budget alternative. One of the processors I have purchased in the past lasted me 6 yrs. There was one before that that lasted me even longer (since 2003) and probably would still be able to run today. How ever it has been retired due to being out of date & under-powered for today's computing needs.

I feel I'll get the same reliability/longevity with this processor. I give it a 10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment